A green card visa is needed for foreign nationals to live and legally work in the United States, and is valid for ten years. A green card may be obtained in several ways. One method is to marry a United States citizen. Another way is an employer can petition for a foreign national to become a permanent resident. Yet another way for a foreigner to gain U.S. citizen status is through the EB5 Visa Program which is also known as the Immigrant Investor Program. In addition, a relative of a foreign national may sponsor him or her provided he/she is a United States citizen, or a permanent resident. A green card is a privilege, not a right, and they can be revoked under certain circumstances.

People immigrate to the United States for many reasons, including professional reasons, economic reasons, and to escape persecution. To stay in the United States it is important for foreign nationals to become a permanent resident. Sometimes, conditional green cards are issued to spouses of residents. Conditional cards are valid for two years. If the marriage lasts and the spouse has not committed a crime, a permanent resident green card is issued.

There are obligations that foreign nationals must adhere to once they receive their green card visa. Any change in address must be reported to Immigration Services within ten days of having moved. Permanent residents may travel freely; however, a valid passport from the foreign National’s host country is required. If the permanent resident expects to leave the United States for one year or more, a reentry permit is needed before leaving the country.

Residents must obtain a social security number. Furthermore, males who are of an age to serve in the military must register with the Selective Service. The proper forms are available at any U.S. post office. Permanent residents must also pay income taxes, and failure to pay income taxes may result in the permanent residence status being revoked.

The green card is officially now called a permanent resident card. This document is evidence of a foreign national’s legal status in the United States. Permanent resident cards must be replaced if they have been stolen, destroyed, or mutilated. If a foreign national’s green card was issued before they turned 14 years old and are now over that age, a new card must be issued. To receive a replacement green card, an individual needs to fill out Form I-90 from the USCIS.

Should the application for a replacement green card be denied, the foreign national is notified by mail. Should he or she receive a rejection, the decision cannot be appealed. While the decision cannot be appealed, the person can file a motion for a reexamination of the case. In this situation new documents must be attached to the motion. This evidence may correct information that was in error when filing the first application for a replacement green card. Documents submitted with the motion to reopen the case must prove that a mistake had indeed occurred regarding the initial application.

In simpler terms, for a foreign national to become a resident, the individual must obtain a visa. There are a variety of ways of going about this, but it is important that the recipient of the permanent resident card know that his/her status is a privilege, and not a right.